Board of Director Meeting
Western Mass Relics Softball League
Date/Time of Meeting –October 23, 2018 5:30 PM
Ray Saccoccio III
1. Registration form changes
· Add Field Maintenance as option on Registration Form
· Add “Other” as additional cell phone provider with a space to write it in. Eliminate automatic blackened circle in cell phone provider line.
· Change/Add to play desired to read:
90% (25 to 30 games) 75% 50% 30% (6 to 10 games)
· Change top of registration form to read
Registration form must arrive before Wednesday, April 3, 2019. Any registration form received after April 3rd will be placed on a waiting list and be called when and if needed.
· Change Play Options Morning Games to read Morning League (Must be 60 plus to play)
2. Changes to advertisement
· Change the POC on the new player flyer to the Registrar
· Change the new player flyer to a pull tab format.
· All adds placed in newspaper for new players to have a POC with telephone number of Registrar and web site address
· John DaSilva will manage the Maintenance teams for the field maintenance and be the POC to purchase items for the Field. Also be POC for use of field.
4. Web Site
· Change POC for “Contact Us” on the web site. Registrar/Commissioner
· Move the Registration button on the web site to be more visible.
5. Rules Committees
· One meeting for both Gold and Silver. Will advertise the meeting with a written agenda so everyone has the opportunity to attend if they wish.
· Meeting to be held in March
Bill Koss as Gold IC nominee. No other positions vacant for the 2019 season
6. 2019 Dates
· Feb meeting – to be held sometime in late February at the Villa Rose
· Coaches meeting prior to draft under consideration
· Umpire training and refresher
· Registration deadline – 3 Apr 2019
· Silver/Gold selection meetings – before Wed 17 Apr 2019
· Cleanup date Saturday, 13 Apr
· Cleanup rainout date 20 Apr
· Jamboree Sat 27 Apr
· Season starts Monday 29 Apr
· Mid-season coaches meeting under consideration
7. Cancellation of games:
· Gold IC will meet to discuss guidelines on cancelation of games due to heat and rain. Will consider temperature, humidity and heat index.
· Specific time of when games are cancelled due to rain. (after 2pm suggested)
· Use of text, email and/or website to inform players when cancellation occurs per coach.
· How umpires are notified when a game cancelled to be established
8. Will try again in 2019 to establish a Morning league. The following are current guidelines
· Must be older than 60 to play in the Morning league
· Will be a mix of both Silver and Gold
· Try to have 4 equal teams. Will need 4 members to manage/coach each team
· Play Tuesday and Thursday, starting at 9AM
· Double headers with batting practice before hand
· No games in July because of the heat and vacation times
· Stop just before the Cape starts
9. Picnic – future discussion on possible items for the Chinese raffle and amount of food items to help keep cost down.
10. List of items for improvements for next year
· Cooking Shed floor/foundation
· Box Truck Storage floor
· Hose reel
· Sub pump
· Leaf blower
· Push lawn mower (new or donated self-propelled would work too)
· Bottom board for 1st and 3rd base fence
· Possible large tarp for backstop to improve vision of balls coming off the bat
11. Other items discussed for future consideration
· Use of substitutes through the year and keeping an active roster.
· Donations of tickets for raffle use (Red Sox, Pats, Celtics, Bruins, etc.)
· How to recruit more players “ 50 and over softball signs”
· Using existing and new sponsors to assist with tickets to raffle
· Ground rule double for rules consideration
· Use of pitching screen and pitchers staying behind screen for safety
· Illegal bats - monitoring
12. Meeting adjourned, 7:30 PM
Meeting minutes approved, Walter Stewart, Commissioner